Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Understanding Preferences & Personalities

 Personality Test Results
The personality test says I am Consul Personality (ESFJ-A) which states that I’m the popular person who was probably a cheerleader in high school.  That is pretty far from the truth but I think I’ve grown and matured since high school.  It does say that “they take seriously their responsibility to help and to do the right thing”  (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, n.d.). Which is true for me; I take that very seriously.  I can usually get along with anyone and can’t remember the last time I had a conflict with someone due to their personality.  I did learn that "conflict is normal, unresolved conflict is dysfunctional" (Porter-O’Grady & Malloch, 2015, p. 218).


Image result for personality
https://psychcentral.com/lib/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/personality-disorders.jpg

Extroverts VS introverts

I greatly enjoyed Susan Cain’s talk.  I believe I was an introvert all throughout school, always alone and shy.  I had one good friend and that was it.  It never bothered me but it bothered others.  Since I joined the Navy I have changed and became an extrovert.  I have no problem talking to people and creating conversations.  Sometimes I still feel like I’m bothering leadership so I’ll make things short and to the point although they've told me many times that I'm not "bothering" them.  I also have a hard time with public speaking but I’ve come a long way.  Susan says to encourage the introvert by giving them privacy and not making them feel bad for being alone and quiet.  I will give them freedom at work and autonomy to come up with amazing ideas.
Image result for introvert vs extrovert
https://cdn.davidwolfe.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/ExInFI-e1451914524243.jpg

Conflict resolution

It would be very hard to be an introvert and deal with conflict.  Even as an extrovert it’s difficult. We do not welcome conflict which is what Jeff Muir explains saying that we’d rather live in denial than solve the conflict (Conflict Resolution, 2013).  In the nursing profession if conflicts aren’t resolved many nurses will just quit and not return to the profession (Swearingen& Liberman, 2004).  Good communication needs to be a priority to improve conflict resolution.  Leaders need to be open and listen intently without judgement to help resolve any issues at hand.  CrisMarie Campbell and Susan Clarke mention on TEDtalks that we need to be vulnerable in order to resolve it (2015).  Susan Heathfield (2016) states that in order to resolve conflict you need to:
1.      Meet with the antagonist together.
2.      Ask each participant to describe specific actions they’d like to see the other party take.
3.      The supervisor must own some of the responsibility.
4.      Further exploration
5.      All participants discuss and commit to making the changes necessary.
6.      You expect the individuals to resolve the conflicts proactively as adults.
7.      Assure both parties that you have every faith in their ability to resolve their differences.
Image result for conflict resolution
http://previews.123rf.com/images/marigranula/marigranula1506/marigranula150600196/40759705-Diagram-of-Conflict-Resolution-Stock-Photo-conflict.jpg

Terminal Days

I loved listening to “Terminal Days” it’s such a great way to live because he’s so right; people normally don’t START living until they know their time is ticking.  I’m thankful and lucky to live this way every day I'm off of work.  My family and I are always doing something and we always have little vacations lined up because…why not?  Life is too short!  This would not work in a healthcare setting because a hospital never closes.  People become ill any day of the week, any hour of the day.  We can’t just say, “Everyone take Monday and Thursday off and spend them like they’re your last days!” because someone has to be taking care of those patients in need.


I got mail today and this was in the box.  I love it!

No automatic alt text available.

Better & Faster

I really enjoyed watching Gutsche’s speech on “Better & Faster.”  I learned to always be ready and willing to change, to take time to look for new opportunity, and then what most people don’t do - take action. I loved his story about his father and how to never give up.  I am normally the one making the changes on the ward.  “If the leader is not willing, neither is the staff” (Porter-O'Grady & Malloch, 2015, p. 158).  Making changes for the better and making it exciting helps to improve willingness to changes.


Negative ways of thinking

Knowing that how you approach someone could become a domino effect for your staff could make a huge difference.  If you approach everyone with a positive attitude it could spread, just as if you’re always negative, that can spread as well and create a toxic environment.


Related image
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BsGyHWVCAAAOvnF.jpg
Industrial Age-style of leadership vs. leadership in the Digital Age

I believe I am more of a Digital Age leader.  I am adaptable and flexible.  When I was checking into this hospital I practically begged to be in Labor and Delivery but the Director of Nursing Services told me that because I was a new nurse I had to learn nursing skills on the Multi-Service Ward.  After a little disappointment, I adapted and welcomed the experience with open arms.  I’m grateful for this opportunity because I absolutely love it (Porter-O'Grady & Malloch, 2015).


Complexity Science

I have had many days just like the example Pat Ebright gave about having a very long day on a 12 hour shift and then coming home to tell my husband about it and him just not understanding.  There are just somethings you cannot understand unless you’re there. 

Image result for Complexity Science
Add captionhttp://www.bristol.ac.uk/media-library/sites/bccs/images/about-complexity-wordcloud.jpg


References

American Nurses Association (2016). Nursing Administration: Scope and standards of practice (2nd ed.). Silver Spring, MD: ANA.
Conflict Resolution. (2013). Retrieved March 12, 2017, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY5TWVz5ZDU
Heathfield, S. M. (2016). Steps in Mediating Workplace Conflict Resolution. Retrieved March 12, 2017, from https://www.thebalance.com/workplace-conflict-resolution-1918675
 Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. (n.d.). Retrieved from www.16personalities.com
Porter-O'Grady, T. & Malloch, K. (2015). Quantum leadership: Building better partnerships for sustainable health (4th ed.).
Swearingen, S., & Liberman, A. (2004). Nursing generations: an expanded look at the emergence of conflict and its resolution. Health Care Manager, 23(1), 54-64.
TEDtalks. (2015). Retrieved March 12, 2017, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o97fVGTjE4w




No comments:

Post a Comment